The process of TV digitalization in the United States was officially completed 6th. June 2009. year, while the deadline was moved to the EU for 2012. year, and in Serbia for 2015. year. Many people think that the transition from analogue to digital TV is a revolution in television broadcasting and compare this process with the transition from black and white broadcast to broadcast in color.
Digital broadcasting is mean not only a sharper picture and clearer sound, but a range of many useful services and applications that were not applicable in the case of analog television. There are at least seven, very strong reasons for the superiority of digital over the analogue television.
1. Better quality of television pictures. Digital broadcasting (DVB) elevision signal is without interference, more resistant to external influences compared to analogue broadcasting.
2. High Definition Television (HDTV). This feature of digital television is closely linked with the quality of television pictures. HDTV means broadcast resolution of 1920h1080. TVs that are made for this broadcast quality branded - Full HD 1080p.
Currently, HD television in Europe is the prestige, because there are a limited number of channels which broadcasting in this resolution and consequently a small number of those who have the opportunity to watch these channels in their homes. However, according to recent research, it was announced that in Europe by 2010. year will be about 150 channels in HD.
3. Better quality and greater variety of sound systems. One of the basic features of digital television is sound system - Dolby ® Digital quality. Of TV channel that broadcasts depends sound system: mono sound system, Dolby Stereo or Dolby Surround 5.1, respectively one, two or six independent audio outputs. Currently all HD channels broadcasting in Dolby Surround 5.1 sound system, which means that the viewer can connect the digital cable receiver with amplifier, Home Cinema system or other suitable peripheral device and enjoy in the surround sound just like when watching the DVD in his home theater.
4. Electronic Program Guide (EPG), parental control and similar applications. This is the applications that were not applicable for analog television. EPG allows the description of the TV contents which the viewer can view at any time. Parental Control provides the ability to prevent children of watching the programs for which parents think that they are not appropriate for their age.
5. Personal video recorder (PVR). By analog television this function is execute a special device that look likes as video or DVD recorder. For digital television this function is execute a more complexy type of digital cable receiver, which in itself has a different hard drive memory that stores content that the viewer wants to record.
6. Video on demand (VoD). This service of digital television allows the user to select and watch video which is part of the operators offer.
7. Pay Per View (PPV). Service of digital cable television - Pay per View allow to viewer watch TV programs on which the user is not subscribed, but also offered by operators.